1. Think before you write: Brainstorm ideas; have a strong thesis statement & make an outline.
2. Be original: Write from your heart!
3. Show, don't tell: Use stories, examples and anecdotes; paint a picture of "you" and be yourself!
4. Know your audience: Your essay will be read by adults and professionals; avoid slang and watch the humor!
5. Neatness counts: Neatly typed; double spaced; adequate margins (1"-1 1/2").
6. Check and double check: Spell check; proofread, grammar check and ask for help!